Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Sith and the Godfather - Contrast and Compare

Peace is a lie. There is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall set me free.

-The Sith Code

Though not directly related to any specific events in Coppola's The Godfather Part I, I found this quote and I thought it was quite interesting in relation to it, as well as Joseph Campbell's' concept of the hero's journey. The Sith Code is the moral code of the fictional Sith warriors in George Lucas’ Star Wars saga, in which the Sith represent the forces of ultimate darkness; but as in The Godfather, the audience is shown the softer side of the characters behind it as well. The quote even ties in to the theme of the American Dream and its role in Coppola’s The Godfather, in the idea that through passion and strength, one will gain power, and this power or Force (American Dream), will set the individual free.

No comments:

Post a Comment